When it comes to retirement, it can be tempting to relax at home or slide into a sedentary lifestyle. However, studies show that staying active in your senior years is one of the most important things you can do for your health.
At The Reserve of Geneva, we cater to adults 55 and older who are ready to embrace a vibrant lifestyle, free from the responsibilities of home ownership. Here’s a brief look at the benefits of staying active as you age and how living in an active adult community like The Reserve can help you achieve your fitness goals.
Benefits of Staying Active As You Age
There are many ways that regular physical activity can enhance your health and wellness as you get older. Maintaining an active lifestyle in retirement can help:
- Prevent or delay health problems as you age, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and dementia.
- Improve mental health, emotional well-being and cognitive function.
- Improve strength, balance and quality of life, allowing seniors to maintain independence for longer.
- Increase muscle mass, prevent bone loss and help foster a healthy body weight.
- Decrease loneliness and isolation, specifically when participating in activities with friends and family.
- Positively affect the immune system and help ward off illnesses.
- Promote better sleep habits so that you wake up feeling refreshed and energized.
Before you begin any new exercise routine, it is important that you:
- Talk to your doctor
Your provider is already aware of any existing health conditions you have and can provide some exercise ideas to get you started at the appropriate level.
- Start slow
Gradually increasing your activity level will prevent injuries while you build up your strength and endurance.
- Find something you enjoy
The more you enjoy something, the more likely you are to stick with that activity and achieve better results.
Maintain Your Active Lifestyle at The Reserve
Keeping active is easier when you’re surrounded by people, opportunities and amenities that promote a lively lifestyle. At The Reserve, residents have access to a variety of programs and amenities that encourage healthy, active living.
Staying active in retirement means different things to different people. For some, an active lifestyle includes daily walks with your dog or pickle ball with friends. For others, staying active may include a day of shopping in downtown Geneva or volunteering at a local charity. At The Reserve, it’s easy to explore new activities or pursue old hobbies that keep you physically, mentally and emotionally fit. Some of our residents’ favorite activities include:
- Lunch and shopping outings
- Health and Wellness guest speakers
- Exercise classes
- Sporting events
- Craft classes and lessons
- The Botanical Gardens and Arboretum Trips
- Bridge, poker, bunco, and more
- Volunteering opportunities
Regardless of how you commit to staying active in retirement, one thing is for certain: you will enjoy better health and longevity when exercise is built into your daily routine. Contact The Reserve of Geneva today to learn more about our active adult community.