Spending time with your grandchildren is the best way to create meaningful bonds and cherished memories. But let’s face it; cold Chicago winters can make it particularly challenging to find fun and entertaining things to do with kids.
We’ve compiled a list of cold weather activities to consider the next time you and your grandchildren are together.
Take a field trip.
Located just 50 miles from Geneva, a field trip into Chicago is a great way to explore and spend time with your grandkids. There are numerous kid-friendly, indoor museums and activities to discover in Chicago including:
- Museum of Science and Industry: Learn about different fields of science through interactive exhibits and hands-on experiences.
- The Field Museum: Dive into natural history with impressive dinosaur displays and cultural artifacts from around the world.
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum: Get closer to nature with butterfly gardens, animal exhibits and environmental education.
- Children’s Museum at Navy Pier: Enjoy family fun with interactive displays and a stunning view of Lake Michigan at Navy Pier.
- Shedd Aquarium: See unique species of aquatic life including fish, sharks, dolphins, otters and amphibians from around the world.
Watch a movie.
A visit to the local cinema is a fun way to pass the time with your grandkids. There are many movie theatres within a short drive of Geneva. Or, stay at home and enjoy a movie night in the living room with popcorn, candy, blankets and forts. Choose a popular kid-friendly movie or introduce your grandkids to one of your favorite classic films!
Share your hobbies.
It can be meaningful for seniors to pass down a loved hobby or skill to their grandkids. Winter-friendly hobbies may include teaching them how to knit, learning how to play an instrument together or sharing your love for baking. You’ll enjoy teaching them something you are passionate about, and your grandkids will be able to carry this new skill with them into adulthood.
Go ice skating.
If you’re looking for winter activities with kids, ice skating is a great option. Choose from outdoor or indoor skating options in Geneva. Or, if the weather allows, enjoy a snow day together! Bundle up and build a snowman, make snow angels or go sledding. Afterwards, head back to your apartment for hot chocolate and snacks!
Play a game.
Playing a board game or cards is the perfect indoor activity on a cold, winter day. Teach your grandchild your favorite game or let them show you theirs. Games are a great way to spend time together, laugh and encourage friendly competition.
While wintertime can limit the things you can do with your grandkids, rest assured that there are still plenty of ways to make meaningful memories together. At The Reserve of Geneva, our residents love visiting with their grandkids! Whether you have them over to your spacious apartment for lunch and a game or take them out in Geneva for a special treat and shopping, the time you spend with your grandchildren will create lasting memories that you will both cherish forever.
To learn more about The Reserve of Geneva, schedule your in-person tour today.